Friday, February 6, 2009

Bad Dream and Broken Heart

My poor baby girl had her first nightmare a few nights ago. She came in my room crying and saying "Mommy you need to come to my room there is something scary". I could not get her to tell me what her dream was about. I stayed with her for a few minutes. I sat there rubbing her face telling her that everything was okay. I watched her little eyes darting around the room to make sure there were no monsters. She would sniffle from time to time. It broke my heart. I cannot stand to think about her laying there scared. I have always been a big chicken myself so I can remember laying in bed at night scared of everything.

The next night she was so resistant to bed time. The later it got the more she kept saying, "I am never going to bed again". When I told her it was time to go brush teeth and go to bed she started crying and saying "What if I have another bad dream?". Talk about killing me. I was ready to just put her in our bed and be done with it but I knew that wasn't the answer. We got in the bed to read her bedtime story and started talking about all the things that make her happy. We talked about her friends, family, cake, her new bed, and several other things that came to her mind. By the time I left she was smiling and seemed to be okay. I prayed several times throughout the night that she would have a wonderful night. She slept all night and woke up in a wonderful mood. Yeah!! She said "I didn't even have any bad dreams". Thank you God.

3 comments:

Rachel Freeman said...

Awe that's horrible. Ada went through a phase like that and she ended up sleeping with about 10 stuffed animals to keep her company. She also has a turtle that puts stars on the ceiling. I hope she doesn't have any more.

Anonymous said...

We (Madi and William) open our eyes really wide... look around the room... and see that there is nothing there to be afraid of. Then we say a prayer that God will keep us safe and help us to sleep good the rest of the night! Then we think about things to make us happy... what if I were sleeping beauty or spiderman???

I know the heartbreak you are referring to... we don't want anything to hurt our babies... physically or emotionally. Keep up the GREAT work mom!!! You and Austin are great parents, soon to be times 2!

Taylor's said...

Thanks for the suggestions. So far it only happened that one night. I am so glad. That's not something I want to have to deal with often.